baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 16:21:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the quick response.

> monz wrote:
> >
> > I can only boot BasicLinux from the floppy,
> > and have to keep changing the active status of
> > /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda6
> > to boot Windows 95 or BasicLinux.
>
> Let's see if I understand it correctly:
> You want to dual boot your computer?
> Sometimes Windows 95 and sometimes BL3?

Yes.

> The solution I recommend is loadlin.exe.
> It boots Linux from DOS. You can also boot
> Windows 95 from DOS (by executing win).
>
> Configure your computer to boot to a DOS menu.

How do i do that?

It was set up originally to boot only into
Windows 95. If i set /dev/hda1 as the active
partition, that's what it does.

> If you decide to use this method, I would be
> happy to help you with the details.

Thanks. I wanted to try getting LILO to work
first, since it's supposed to! :) I thought
i had everything set up correctly, and since
it didn't work, i'd like to find out why ...
as a learning experience.

I should have mentioned that when i do have the
active partition set to /dev/hda6, to boot LILO,
the /etc/lilo.conf "prompt" and "timeout" commands
don't seem to be doing anything. I need to start
with the floppy, but still need to press "CTRL"
during LILO booting to get the "boot:" prompt.

At the same time, i do want to be able to boot
the Compaq into either Windows or BL without
needing a floppy, so i'm willing to try your
method too. Thanks.

-monz