baslinux - [BL] USB keyboard

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB keyboard
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 00:39:08 +0000 (UTC)

My fastest computer has a dead PS/2 keyboard port (independent of OS) but works with USB keyboard. The PS/2 keyboard just stopped working today.
(The hard drive finished dying yesterday after not being able to boot).

In BL2 (2.4.31 kernel, with and without usbcore, input and usbkbd modules) and in BL3 (P1 2.2.26 kernel) the USB keyboard works for a while then suddenly I get messages Timeout: keyboard - AT keyboard not present (ed) or (f4). I found this online referred to as a kernel buf in 2.4 kernels after 2.4.21 but it also happens with 2.2.26.

If I switch vts, the next one works for a while then I start getting the same messages (immediately after using the keyboard).

There IS no AT keyboard present, just USB. Am I supposed to tell the computer that at some point, somehow?

Any ideas? I have not used a USB keyboard before. I tried the BL3 'big' kernel but X would not work with it. I got a crazy quilt of colors adn the keyboard would not respond so I had to power off.

The computer also crashes part way through booting live CDs of Ubuntu (at user setup) and Knoppix (boots to a black screen and keys do not work). These work on one other computer (two others won't boot from CD-ROM tho BIOS is set to do that). BL has worked on almost all computers (Gateways being the only exceptions) even where other linuxes fail (esp. Knoppix despite having enough memory for terminal mode).

DOS appears to work but I have not done anything cpu intensive with it.