baslinux - Re: [BL] USB keyboard

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB keyboard
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 02:23:49 +0000 (UTC)

My fastest computer has a dead PS/2 keyboard port (independent of OS) but
works with USB keyboard. The PS/2 keyboard just stopped working today.
(The hard drive finished dying yesterday after not being able to boot).

In BL2 (2.4.31 kernel, with and without usbcore, input and usbkbd modules)
and in BL3 (P1 2.2.26 kernel) the USB keyboard works for a while then
suddenly I get messages Timeout: keyboard - AT keyboard not present?

There was a site mentioning that USB keyboard driver sent commands to the PS/2 keyboard driver - not a good sign (but not relevant as it turns out).

I tried in BIOS changing PCI IRQs, APIC, ACIP, etc., to no avail.

A different keyboard did the trick. Out of the frying pan into the fire of genuine Microsoft ergonomic dual-plug (dead PS/2 plug good USB). Think crooked. Type B left-handed. Don't even think of using arrow keys blind.

Nobody in the 50 hits I found for this timeout problem mentioned a bad keyboard.

People do not give away WORKING USB keyboards. THe third was was dead.

Sindi

  • [BL] USB keyboard, baslinux, 05/30/2008
    • Re: [BL] USB keyboard, baslinux, 05/30/2008