baslinux - Re: [BL] LWN linux distribution list and basiclinux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LWN linux distribution list and basiclinux
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 02:29:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 8 May 2008 Sindi wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Does the BL abiword work with plugins?

Yes AFAIK. There's a plugin manager under "Tools"

apparently Abiword can do that (for 5 not 4)
and then export as rtf. Also extended ascii.

The Abiword plugin handles WP4 but not much of it (not tables)
and they are STILL working on page numbering for WP.

Yes, Abiword can export in many formats. It
can even export in HTML. I've just loaded a
text document into Abiword, saved it as HTML,
and then viewed it in a browser.

I can already view plain text with a browser.
Can you load a WORD doc and export to HTML or RTF?

Have you used plugins? I read that the HTML import comes built-in. I see Tools, install new plugin. Apparently you need to download the entire nearly 1MB package for import/export filters.

Microsoft does not properly import Wordperfect tables and extended ascii, but the WP import filter claims to do both and I could use Abiword to convert WP to HTML or RTF (Microsoft accepts them both). RTF does page breaks. HTML might use CSS for them.

Is the leftmost up arrow supposed to dump you out of X? I modified X keyboard setup so that the numberpad arrows work correctly but it may have affected the others.

I am running BL2 from an all-SCSI computer - onboard two controllers (SCSI-2 for CD-ROM and DVD, and SCSI-3 for two hard disks) and one
add-in card for the scanner. hdparm says the hard disks are running
at 13 and 9 MB/sec, but dmesg said something about scsi0 40 MB/sec.
Does hdparm not properly measure scsi performance? They seem much faster.

I have two 450MHz cpus that were supposed to compile faster than a single one but the 2.2 kernel cannot handle SMP (dual cpu) without losing ppp, and the 2.4.31 kernel refuses to compile with SMP. I can try bare-i.