baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO challenge

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO challenge
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 17:59:35 +0000 (UTC)

I think we should not be discussing MBRs for so long on the BL3 list.
My email address can be found (by people, not bots) at my website address (which I posted for downloading a kernel and a program recently). Please write me directly.

I use EXT3 on Kurumin, a Debian-based distro (in Portuguese).
I have no way to compare those FSs, since BL3 and Kurumin are very different
each other.

You can copy Kurumin to a partition that was formatted ext2 and compare sizes.

2kb is big enough for making a lot of things in Assembly or machine
language.
In the past I've programmed Burroughs mini-computers and all I had were 512
"memory words", what means 512 bytes.

I programmed a very small computer that took one card. My partner made a 4K DOS text editor in assembler language that works under dosemu.

So why won't LILO boot floppy work either? Does the floppy disk version
look at the MBR or other parts of track 0?

I hope not.
But it certainly looks for the bootable partition, which is determined by
the user.

I will try LILO again from floppy boot disk and maybe from MBR.

I believe it just looks for a bootable partition, since it can be hda1,
hda2, etc.
since Linux users are not obliged to install the system oon MBR.

Is this the linux partition, or the partition where I put the kernel and boot.b? I could put them in hda2 instead of hda1.

Are they entirely in track 0?

Well, 1kb is big enough to handle a lot of information.
These viruses alter the MBR table and point to other locations on HD where
the malware really is.
This is to say that malware codes can be placed out of track 0, but since
the pointers are zeroed these files can't be executed anymore.

The rest of the drive is also zeroed.
Teixeira