baslinux - Re: [BL] mplayer says my PC is too slow

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mplayer says my PC is too slow
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 00:27:25 -0300

>>> mplayer ..... -hardframedrop or maybe just -framedrop.
>>
>> I tried -framedrop. It gets a little better
>>

>-hardframedrop drops more frames and should help more.

I'll try it.

>>> If you are using X, set it to 800x600 and 64K (16-bit or even 15-bit)
>>> colors. If you have a non-Xvesa X, maybe 256 colors will work . I view
>>> with svgalib but you would need to install the libraries first (from
>>> Slackware 4.0 - libvga.so.1.9.25 and libvgagl.so.1.9.25). That uses
less
>>> memory but maybe not less cpu speed.
>>
>> I have Xvesa, 800x600, 16 colors. Video quality (each frame) is good.
>>
>>> I can view on a 500MHz with AGP video card. Do you have an AGP slot?
>>> A faster newer video card takes over some work from the cpu.
>>
>> My video card is ISA, a Trident with 1mb.

>That won't do more than 256 colors. Can you get a PCI S3 Trio64 card with
>2MB RAM? Where do you live?

I live in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro). All of the PCI cards I have are dead.
I was thinking of a 2 - 8mb 2D card.
Maybe I can find that Trio64.

>>> You can also look online for help. mplayer 'too slow' got a lot of
hits.

>>> They suggest
>>> -nodouble
>>> or
>>> -lavdopts lowres=1 -
>>> or
>>> -vfm
>>> (If I understood this correctly).
>>
>> I'll try these settings and make that search..

>Let me know. I have not tried them.

>>> mplayer -ao oss -vo xll (or svga) -hardframedrop dvd://1-20
>>
>>> For subtitles -slang en (English subtitles) or maybe -slang pt
>>
>> I tried mplayer -autosync 2400 -vo sdl vcd://avseq01.dat
>> (autosync recommended factor is 30).
>> This gives me no sound at all but the video goes fair - a little slow, I
>> suppose.

>Did you insert the sound modules first? I often forget.

I really don't remember. I've downloaded and pkg'ed mplayer.tgz
The modules I am sure to be installed are those referred to Sound Blaster.

>I just tried -vo sdl and it played but my keyboard stopped responding at
>all.

>> When set to zero, sound and video interfere greatly on each other.
>> -vo sdl works better than -vo x11

>What is sdl?

I don't know. It's one of the options given by all that verbosis.

>> I also tried -quiet which stops the verbosis but then I noticed no
>> difference.

>That won't affect the cpu much.

>>> Sindi

Teixeira