baslinux - [BL] LILO challenge

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] LILO challenge
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:46:40 +0000 (UTC)

I have two pieces of slightly imperfect newish hardware:

1) Fast (3.8GHz) computer that came with dead cpu, which we replaced with something slower (the PC3200 memory is now faster than the cpu bus speed, and PC2700 memory actually runs faster in here).

There is an SATA controller but I set BIOS to boot from IDE.

The board may have been damaged by whatever killed the cpu. PQMagic complains of a partition table error (108 or 110) on three different IDE hard disks, all of which were formatted with PQM itself (in another computer). (Possibly with a later version, 8 instead of the 5 which I have on this computer). The software on the disks works perfectly anyway. Maybe BIOS has some problem which linux is ignoring.

2) 100GB IDE hard drive (given to us as secondary slave in an XP machine where XP was primary slave and booted from there as 'HDD-0'). I sys'ed it several times but it will not boot to DOS. I can boot with a DOS boot floppy disk or another hard drive (PQMagic does not like the other drive either).

I am trying to use a lilo boot floppy disk instead.

Basiclinux is not in the first 1024 cylinders.

Large Disk HOWTO said to put the kernel and other files used during bootup into the first 1024 cylinders so I copied /boot/* to /hda1/bl2 (DOS).
I tried without and with this.

My lilo floppy boot disk booted as far as LI, which means it "loaded the second stage boot loader but failed to execute it, which is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer."

What might I try next, other than booting with DOS boot floppy (with config.sys and autoexec.bat suitable for then running from hard disk) and then using loadlin? Would some other bootloader work, from HD or floppy? Should I try partitioning a test hard disk with BL3 fdisk or even DOS fdisk and see if it can be made to boot?