baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO challenge

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO challenge
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:49:39 -0300

Presently I am having the same problem, so I wish to share what I've noticed
about it.

I have an old Fujitsu HD that insn't recognized accordingly to the product
information (2490 cylinders 16 heads 63 sectors - all the possibilities
point to 16 heads) but seems to have 128 heads instead (the second setup
option), which is absolutely impossible - but it works!

Since I have to interchange HDs very often (among different OSes), sometimes
the BIOS accepts one or other set of values, which shows me a 'LI' and stops
booting.

When this happens I go to the Pc setup and try the second option and then it
works.
This same HD works fine on other PCs, which drives me to believe it's a BIOS
problem and the OS was copied to HD without noticing this oddity.
This other HD that I'm using right now sometimes is said to have 555
cylinders instead of 528 which makes the MSWindows freeze. Again, it works
very well on other computers.

Furtherly I'm intending to erase the 'BL3' HD and repeat all the procedures
from scratch, ensuring that I get just the 16 heads and not any other
number.

I hope this information can be of any help.

Teixeira