baslinux - Re: [BL] new to list

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new to list
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 05:53:41 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Ted wrote:

> (1) a walk-through/tutorial on the installation to hard disk.

Assuming you have unallocated space on your HD,
use fdisk (in BL3) to create a Linux partition.
You probably also should create a swap partition.
If you tell us how much RAM you have, we will be
able to tell you whether you need a swap partition
and how big it should be. Also, tell us if you do
not have unallocated HD space -- we can tell you
how to get some.

Once you have a Linux partition, use mke2fs to
format the partition. Then mount the parition
on /hd. For example, if your Linux partition
is /dev/hda2
--------------------
mke2fs /dev/hda2
mount /dev/hda2 /hd
--------------------
Then execute: install-to-hd

> (2) Some advice on configuring the network.
> I'm plugging into my linksys router which is
> serving DNS to my other machines.

Are you using a PCMCIA network card? Or is networking
build into you laptop? If it is PCMCIA, is the card
cardbus?

> I really like BasicLinux so far. It's making my old
> laptop usable again.

If you give us some details on your laptop and how it
is currently configured, we will be able to provide
more specific advice.