baslinux - Re: [BL] new to list

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new to list
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:00:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Ideally, I would like

(1) a walk-through/tutorial on the installation to hard disk.
(2) Some advice on configuring the network. I'm plugging into
my linksys router which is serving DNS to my other machines.

Go online, type links, go the basiclinux website link, support, search on these topics in the archives. They have been discussed numerous times.

You need to insert the network module(s) by typing /etc/pcmcia/start (make sure your card is listed in pcmcia config, add it if not, and you can look up the required lines in a full-size pcmcia config or on the net or use cardctl ident), then type udhcpc, which should make your laptop part of the router network, using its DNS number. (It will also delete any DNS numbers you may have entered using pppsetup).

I really like BasicLinux so far. It's making my old laptop usable
again.

Ted