baslinux - [BL] BL-Win98 with dropbear and putty/pscp

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL-Win98 with dropbear and putty/pscp
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:42:52 +0000 (UTC)

Win98 on a laptop with network card (it actually found and installed a Farallon 3c59x card!).

Start Run ipconfig lists the IP number for Win98.
insert network module for linux, ifconfig eth0 IP-number
Choose a number with the last digit different from Win98.

I could not find a way to assign IP numbers to Win98 manually and the one I had was there from the last time I ran ipconfig while plugged into a router.

Run a crossover cable between the two network cards. Make sure they ping. (In my case the PCI card was not pushed in all the way and the PCMCIA dongle was also crooked).

Or use a router with two straight cables and run ipconfig in Win98 and udhcpc in linux (and first back up your resolv.conf since it will be replaced by udhcpc default config script).

You can use pure-ftpd to transfer files between the two computers (start ftp in Windows. lcd to the directory you want on the linux computer if it is not /root or /user).

Since I already had dropbear, I started that on linux (just type dropbear - I posted a glibc and a uclibc package).

In Win98, from the DOS prompt in c:\putty, to ssh to linux type
putty user@IP-number-of-linux
and you will be asked the usual yes/no and for password.
I am now online using the laptop via Bl2.

psftp is not working because dropbear does not support sftp (secure ftp).

pscp from the putty site can be used just like the scp that I compiled as part of the dropbear package.

-scp assures that it will use scp not sftp (probably optional)

pscp -scp user@IP-number-of-linux:/directory/file-to-get file-name
File name is what you name it on the Win98 computer.

I just used this method to copy a few large files that I had downloaded at the neighbor's house (via low-strength wireless that would not reach our house) from a Win98 laptop to BL2 and thence to USB flash drive. (The laptop has no USB but has 48MB RAM so got chosen for Windows). I set up wireless in Win98 because I can't find a way to select between several weak signals with linux wireless and I am still trying for the free (outdoor only) wireless service downtown. (We need to rebuild a battery).

Dropbear with putty's scp can be used to copy files from linux to Windows
but not in the other direction. Try Slackware openssh for sftp support or if you are worried about security use pure-ftpd while not online.

Or use an http server (mini-httpd, busybox httpd), which I think is more secure than plain ftp.

Maybe there is a free Win98 ftp server (even sftp server).

Can one copy via parallel transfer cable between linux and Windows?