baslinux - Re: [BL] Problem with mouse/X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problem with mouse/X
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:22:01 +0000 (UTC)

installed ok but I'm having a problem regarding the mouse (my mouse is
attached to COM1: (serial), there is no PS/2 port on this laptop; I am
not sure but this laptop has a small pad built into it which acts as a
mouse - this may be set up for PS/2 but I am not sure how it works!).

In any case a mouse attached to COM1: (serial) is easier to use than
the device built into the laptop. But try as I may the mouse *refuses*
point blank to even budge in X!

I had to install xsvesa from slackware as the default X server in
basiclinux 3.5 didn't work, it just blank screened on me x.x .

Edit /etc/XF86Config to change Protocol "PS/2" to "Microsoft".
I have had the same problem - did you look in BL archives?

I have tried using xsetup to try to link /dev/mouse to both /dev/psaux
and /dev/ttyS0 but to no avail. The mouse refuses to move at all! I
suspect there is a deeper problem to all this however I am not sure.

I think Xsetup is only for Steven's Xvesa arrangement, not standard X.
The Xconfig it generates won't help with standard X.

I tried to install gpm from slackware 4 and managed to get a command
line mouse working and to respond by typing "gpm" at the command line.
But cat /dev/ttyS0 and cat /dev/psaux still did nothing, i.e. I can't
see any data. I also tried doing a "gpm -R raw" at the comamnd line. A
file "/dev/gpmdata" was created by this but doing "cat /dev/gpmdata"
gave no response.
The mouse works but you have not configured standard X for it.

Sindi

Can anyone think what the problem could be?

Thanks :)

ljones