baslinux - Re: [BL] request for scp for BL3: resolved

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] request for scp for BL3: resolved
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:40:06 -0500 (CDT)

Here's how I got scp on my BL3 system. I went to the Slack9 download site
and downloaded the openssh package from the /n directory. I untarred and
gunzipped that and, sure enough, in the resulting /usr/bin directory there
was an scp binary. I copied that over to /usr/bin on my BL3 testbed and
tried running the binary. The system proceeded to complain about a missing
libcrypto library. I found that missing library in the openssl-solibs
package in the /a directory of Slack9. Once I untarred and gunzipped that
package, I copied the library from the resulting /usr/lib directory over
to /usr/lib on the BL3 system. Attempting to run the scp binary after this
resulted in the system complaining about needing a lib file with a
slightly different name: instead of libcrypto.so.0.9.7 (the name of the
library I excised from the Slack9 package) the system was looking for
libcrypto.so.0. Undaunted, I resolved that complaint by simply making a
libcrypto.so.0 symlink in that same directory that points to
libcrypto.so.0.9.7. Then when I tried to scp the file over the system
objected that there was no /usr/bin/ssh. I looked over the system and
discovered that the ssh binary is located, not in /usr/bin, but in
/usr/local/bin. So I even had the temerity to make an ssh symlink in the
/usr/bin directory that points to the location of the actual binary that
resides in /usr/local/bin. Now everything's happy and I can scp files to
my heart's content!

James

PS I didn't just install those Slack9 packages on my BL3 testbed using the
pkg command because I feared important BL3 files might get overwritten
(e.g., busybox) thus crippling the system. You also should not just
adopt that comparatively simple, but dangerous, course of action. You've
been warned!