baslinux - Re: [BL] request for scp for BL3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] request for scp for BL3
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 02:12:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Things seem to have shaped up pretty well for putting BL3 on the laptop
I've spoken of in recent posts. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead with it. One
thing that's come up missing so far as needed programs, however, is scp
(secure copy). I've really come to rely on this utility for file transfers
on my LAN, as well as to and from my shell account on the WAN or to/from
my home computer when I'm away. In my tests of BL3, it's turning more
and more into a rough spot in typical use.

Is anyone up for compiling and making available an scp package for BL? I
could probably get one from a later Slack version--on the assumption that
the later the version the more secure it's likely to be. But I'm not
certain at the outset whether I might run into dependency issues in
following that course of action. By the same token, scp might make a nice,
though minor enhancement to BL3. Anyone up for this? As with naim, I'll be
happy to test out the results.

I already compiled it, for glibc 2.2.5 (the same library needed for Opera) or later. It is part of the dropbear package, which also includes dbclient, smaller than ssh and works as well for me.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dropbear-0.49-glibc225.tgz (I compiled and posted this just over a year ago so may not be the latest version, but it works fine).

scp is 20K, dbclient 115K (for some reason I have it in /usr/local/bin but symlinked to /usr/bin). Both in the same package. Do you want dbclient.1 posted as well, or the README? I can make a larger package. README speaks of ssh authorized keys. Steven's uclibc ssh is 285K.

I usually use ftpput, ftpget, wget instead (but they do require ftpd and httpd at the other end).

scp requires that you give your password every time (or go through some complex setup procedure).

Ask and you shall receive (or search the archives first).

Sindi

Thanks,
James