baslinux - Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 02:09:54 +0000 (UTC)

The first method did not work for me as user with one version of opera,
but it did as root.

I can operate as root on this system, though for web browsing it would be
good to set up an unpriviledged user, wouldn't it? Do I understand
correctly that you never managed to get Opera running on any BL3 system as
user? That could pose problems for me.

I could not get it working if I cd'ed to opera directly and then typed opera to access the wrapper script. It did work if I installed with install.sh and then typed opera. You seem to have the opposite problem.

BL3 has only a few Latin-alphabet fonts. You could probably select a
few other fonts to add but it is easier to do whole packages.

Any idea which packages?
No.

Yes to ps (see archives). Why do you want pdf instead of rtf?

Thanks for the info. pdf because it preserves formatting better.

Doesn't Abiword use rtf as its native format?

A web search says it works with gs as ljet4. Same as my HP Laserjet 5L
and 6L. 300 dpi. I compiled gs 8.54 with this driver and with
deskjet as the default device (deskjet will also work with my laser
printers and probably with yours).

You compiled with deskjet or laserjet? I did see ljet4 associated with
this printer in my web searches and, I believe, as I went about testing
this printer on my Ubuntu desktop.

I compiled 8.52 with deskjet as the default, ljet4, cdeskjet, cdj550, cdjcolor, cdjmono, djet500, laserjet, ljet2p, various netpbm formats, pdfwrite, pswrite, bmp256.

Deskjet works fine with my laserjet and deskjet printers. Maybe if you are doing color you would need something else.

My gs does not support x11 as a device. This keeps it smaller. It only
needs the one binary (2.7MB with a few devices including those needed by
svp pdf viewer, a few printers, ps2pdf; 2.9 with default devices) and
minimal fonts (not the 2-3GB package unless you want to print with a
variety of fonts). The Windows gs is 17MB download. I did not compile
in Chinese support. GS8.60 is about twice the size. I have not needed
it. The Slackware 7 gs does not support some newer pdf formats.

Not sure what "gs does not support x11 as a device" means. Does that mean
you can't print from any program that runs under X? That would be a
serious limitation for me. Please clarify so that I'll know whether your
package might work for me. (btw, I think you meant 2-3MB rather than
2-3GB, correct?)

I compiled it without X. It will therefore not display in X. You can display ps or pdf with svp using the svgalib that I also compiled, with glibc from SW8.1 (2.2.5). Or pdf with xpdf.

It should print from any program, just not display with gs in X.

Yes MB not GB.

You would need to get this script working in Abiword and Opera to print
directly from them. See the archives. Much easier than using lpr
(which only works for user not root).

I'll begin searching the archive on this issue. Do I understand correctly
that the script has been made to work with those two programs? Or would I
be breaking new ground here?

It has but I forget how. There was a long discussion. This avoids the need to use lpr as user.

You probably need more ghostscript fonts. You can use the Abiword fonts
for English by making a symlink from /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts
to /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts (which will also work for xpdf and
pdftopbm).

Would that be the gsfonts package I found in Slack4? Are those only for
printing, or does X use them as well? Thanks for the tip about symlinking
those directories--that may come in handy.

gsfonts is a huge file used for displaying or printing with gs. Abiword already has all the fonts you need to display with xpdf and gs/svp. Just symlink the ghostscript fonts directory to the Abiword fonts directory.

James

I usually print things either with gs directly (ps or pdf) or with cat (plain text) or with netpbm (pbmtolj or pnmtolj - see my netpbm package for suggested scripts). So I have not bothered printing from Abiword or Opera.