baslinux - Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:44:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I have not bothered printing from Abiword or Opera.

What I meant was I got lpd working with both of these (and xv)
but it only works for 'user' not 'root', which is a nuisance, and I was able to set them to use gs directly instead, which works with root. It was a major operation to get BL to do everything with 'user'. (It was also a nuisance setting up to use lpd).

But since I don't use Abiword, and I don't print entire websites (sometimes just the text content) I have no need to print from Opera or Abiword. If I did, I could save a .ps file and print that with gs directly.

I just figured out why I cannot use floppy BL, ramdisk BL, or loop BL to boot from a hard disk plugged into an add-in PCI IDE controller - there is no hde. We have a board with dead IDE controllers. The solution may be to stick the drive into another computer and add hde hdf hdg and hdh partitions. Perhaps future BLs could at least have hde1-4.

We have another computer which had 10 leaking capacitors, and which still fails memtest the first few times, and crashes within a few minutes with two versions of Windows, but has worked fine with linux, probably because we did not use much memory. Memtest was failing at around 284MB. Linux could be set to use only 128MB of the 512MB DDR. mem=128M.

Sindi

I print from both AbiWord and Opera
(using lpd on BL2).