baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 9.25 runs in BasicLinux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 9.25 runs in BasicLinux
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:06:46 +1300

Message from Steven
===================

> Yes, that's right! Opera 9.25 runs in BasicLinux!

I'm glad 9.25 is working for you. I'm still using
Opera 8.52 -- it does everything I want.

> As for Firefox, it is a chunky, bloaty web browser.

I use Firefox 0.5 (Phoenix). It is significantly smaller
and faster than subsequent versions. It's not as fast as
Opera but it's not too bad (as long as you have 64mb RAM).

> Opera still has its lightweight advantages.

I agree. That's why I did BL3 instructions for Opera
and not Firefox.

> I couldn't figure out how to install the Flash plugin.
> Can anyone help, please?

Flash plugin for Opera does not work on BL3 (and there is
no easy way to fix it). BL3 was specifically designed for
slow/lowRAM computers so it uses a simpler/older foundation
than more up-to-date Linux distributions. Opera works on
the old foundation; the flash plugin does not.

BL2 actually uses a more up-to-date foundation than BL3
and the flash plugin does work on BL2 (I use it all the
time with Opera on BL2). Many of us here run BL2 on our
main systems (and BL3 on our slower laptops/desktops).