baslinux - [BL] Opera 9.25 runs in BasicLinux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Opera 9.25 runs in BasicLinux
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:57:24 -0500

(Screenshot of Opera 9.25 - please use graphics browser/viewer)

Yes, that's right!  Opera 9.25 runs in BasicLinux!

The website only gives instructions for Opera 8, though.  They can upgrade it to Opera 9 (the only difference being the name of the package file).  It may be a little slow on pre-Pentium 2 machines.  It runs smoothly on 128MB of RAM, though.

As for Firefox, it is a chunky, bloaty web browser.  There was no room in my 100MB BasicLinux image file.  Firefox is not recommended for older computers; the browser open source, but Opera still has its lightweight advantages.

Please note that attempting to load any website that heavily depends on Flash (e.g. video streaming) will slow down your computer to a crawl.  Also, I couldn't figure out how to install the Flash plugin.  Can anyone help, please?

Go BasicLinux!