baslinux - Re: [BL] TP-Link IP-5600 modem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] TP-Link IP-5600 modem
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:47:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I have a TP-Link IP-5600 softmodem (on original driver-disc for this modem
there are a Windows-drivers for Motorola SM-56). Can I use this modem in BL?
What must I do to use this modem in BL and what about callback function?
Thanx.

Nick, Uzbekistan

A web search on IP-5600 and linux found me someone's link to:

http://www.tp-link.com/cn/Chinese/soft/20021114105315.zip

Driver source code and a MS DOC file for redhat (can be ignored).

You may already have the .tar.gz on your driver CD in a linux directory.

Unzips to a Linux directory to produce slmdm-2.6.16.tar.gz and .doc
tar -zxvf the .tar.gz file
cd to the new directory slmdm-2.6.16

Read the README file, which I am including below.

This driver supports a variety of modems including PCI and some that fit into extra-short slots (CNR, AMR). It is from 2002 and claims to need a 2.4 kernel. BL3 has a 2.2 kernel but will work with later kernels.

I tried to compile the driver with 'make'.

I got a lot of error messages about something usb, but also slamrmo.o (mentioned in README as hardware specific) and two other modules that were created today. The README file mentions slmdm.o and slfax.o, which were not created.

gcc 2.95.3 may not be adequate to compile this.

Steven, could you modify the Makefile to skip the USB part and I can try again? Or can you compile for 2.2 kernel?

We do not have modprobe or depmod or modules.conf, just insmod.

I did not actually make install since the compilation did not succeed. There should be a ttySL0 device and a modem link.

So far I have only managed to use lucent/agere winmodems with linux. (Or hardware modems - can you get an external one?). It would be useful to have a driver for AMR/CNR types, since many boards come with those but not enough pci slots.

Here is the README:

Smart Link Ltd.
http://www.smlink.com
Apr 12, 2002

Smart Link Soft Modem for Linux
-------------------------------

Introduction
============

This is Smart Link Soft Modem for Linux version 2.6. It provides
full-featured 56K Voice Fax Modem.

Features
========

Modem: V.90, V.34, V.32bis, V.23, V.22, V.21, Bell 103/212.
Flow control: V.42, MNP 2-4.
Compression: V.44, V.42bis, MNP5.
Fax: Class 1.
Voice: ADPCM voice compression, Digital Answering Machine.

Requirements
============

CPU: Intel Pentiumi II, Celron. AMD K6, Cyrix 400MHz or higher.
Memory: 64MB (may work also with 32MB).
OS: Linux 2.4 series.

Supported Hardware
==================

HAMR5600 based AMR/CNR/MDC/ACR modem cards on the following Southbridge
chips:
- Intel ICH0, ICH2
- Via 686A, 686B, 8231, 8233
- SiS 961, 630
- ALI 1535.
SmartPCI56, SmartPCI561 based PCI modem cards.
SmartUSB56 based USB modem.

Installation
============

1. Unpack tar.gz package file:

$ gzip -dc slmdm-2.6.X.tar.gz | tar xf -

2. 'cd' to package directory:

$ cd slmdm-2.6.X

3. Review and edit (if need) 'Makefile'.

Note: Probably you will want to correct in Makefile path to your
local linux kernel header files:

KERNEL_INCLUDES=/path/to/linux/include

Another way is to pass command line the parameter while
running 'make':

$ make KERNEL_INCLUDES=/path/to/linux/include ...

4. Run 'make' command to compile package:

$ make

5. Install.

If you are going to use AMR/CNR/PCI modem type (as superuser):

# make install-amr

, or

# make install-usb

if you are going to use USB modem.

It will install:
- modem kernel modules slmdm.o (modem core), slfax.o (fax)
into '/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc' directory
(standard linux modules' directory).
- hardware specific kernel module slamrmo.o (for AMR/CNR/PCI) or
slusb.o (for USB) into '/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc'
directory (standard linux modules' directory).
- country settings data file 'country.dat' into directory '/etc'.

Also it will:
- create character tty device entry '/dev/ttySL0' with major
number 212 and symbolic link 'dev/modem'.
- config you '/etc/modules.conf' file in order to provide
possibility for loading the modem modules into kernel on demand
automatically by kmod, when you are going to use them.

Note: currently you cannot use both AMR/CNR/PCI and USB Modems.

6. Config modem country.

You can configure you current country by using module parameters
'country' or 'country_code'.
Add 'options' directive line to file '/etc/modules.conf':

options slmdm country=<MyCountry>

, for example

options slmdm country=USA

, or use module parameter while module loading:

# modprobe slmdm country=<MyCountry>

Use 'slver -c' to see list of all supported countries and their
codes (utility 'slver' may be found in package directory).

Note: Command ATI7 shows installed country setting.

7. Using the modem.

Installation will automatically create character tty device entry
'/dev/ttySL0' with major number 212 and symbolic link '/dev/modem'.
Use one of them as modem device for your dialing application.

8. Uninstallation.

In package directory just type:

# make uninstall

Using RPM
=========

1. Build SRPM and RPM from tar.gz package:

In order to build RPM and SRPM run command:

# rpm -ta slmdm-2.6.X.tar.gz

It will build in your RPM directory:
- slmdm-2.6.X-Y.src.rpm - Source SRPM package
- slmdm-2.6.X-Y.i386.rpm - Core Modem RPM package
- slmdm-amr-2.6.X-Y.i386.rpm - AMR/CNR/PCI Modem driver
- slmdm-usb-2.6.X-Y.i386.rpm - USB Modem driver

2. Install

To install Modem core package run:

# rpm -i /path/to/slmdm-2.6.X-Y.i386.rpm

To install Modem hw driver run:

# rpm -i /path/to/slmdm-amr-2.6.X-Y.i386.rpm

if you are going to use AMR/CNR/PCI Modem, or

# rpm -i /path/to/slmdm-usb-2.6.X-Y.i386.rpm

if you are going to use SmartUSB56 Modem.

Note: currently you cannot install and use both AMR/CNR/PCI and USB Modems.

3. Uninstall.

# rpm -e slmdm slmdm-<amr|usb>

Getting Started
===============

After successful installation and configuration modules will be loaded on
demand if you are using 'kmod' in linux kernel.

Also you can load modules by hand:

# modprobe slamrmo

if you are using AMR/CNR/PCI modem, or

# modprobe slusb

if you are using SmartUSB56 Modem.

Troubleshooting
===============

If you get an error message during installation/configuration or loading
the modules like 'slmdm.o: unresolve symbols ...' it may mean that
package was prepared for different linux kernel version that you have.
Run command 'slver -k' (may be found in package directory) to see what
version of linux kernel was used for preparing package.

Unfortunately it is no so flexible currently (we are working about it) to
support all versions of linux kernel. So try to obtain appropriate release
of the modem package or upgrade kernel.

Please report the problem to your modem provider or to us
(support AT smlink.com).

Customization

Look at 'editme.c' file in package directory.

Feedback
========

Please send any feedbacks to Smart Link. See the Smart Link
web site for contact information (www.smlink.com) or to
support AT smlink.com.