baslinux - Re: [BL] Specific N.I.C. and sound drivers for BL3-50?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Specific N.I.C. and sound drivers for BL3-50?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 04:01:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Two add-on modules.

1) N.I.C. is a D-Link DFE-530TX Rev D2 PCi card.
Has been suggested for this that the 8139too.o works as opposed to the
8139.o (all from the
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/net/
repository)
OTOH, one of the driver download sites for a dfe-530tx suggested a
driver-zipfile that unzips to a rhine-chipset module, similar to the
repository's via-rhine.o .
Anyone have any experience which one of these two modules would work
in BL3-50 for the DFE-590TX; the 8139too.o vs. this via-rhine.o module
??

I have NEVER run into anything needing the via-rhine, and have used dozens of ethernet cards. 8139 is very common. If it does not work try 8139too, which I have only used with 2.4.31. 2.4.31 kernel requires: crc32.o mii.o 8139too.o in that order.

I think I did the same research as you on that card.

2) The sound card is a built-in computer component which registers as
a 'Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible' in Windows 98.

All the built-in Crystal chips I have run across (DELL) are cs4232.o
Sometimes you can look up your motherboard online to find the sound chip.
Crystal 4236 uses cs4232. insmod soundcore, insmod sound, insmod cs4232.
If you get an error message 'no such device' it is the wrong module.
If you get a list of messages, you need some other module before cs4232 which I cannot look up now because I am in DOS and forgot how to use dostools.

I am trying to figure out the sound in a 2005 AOPEN board with some type of SIS sound which I thought used i810.o. 'No such device'. If you have free slots you can put in a sound card for which you know the modules.

The BL3-50 modules repository at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/misc/
lists several similar sounding modules:
- Crystal chipset cs4232.o
- Crystal chipset cs4281.o
- Crystal chipset cs46xx.o

- MPU-401 chipset mpu401.o
Needed if you use the external midi port.

insmod opl3 io=0x388
opl3.o would be for synthesized midi sounds. Not all cards support it.
It looks like yours does.

Anyone familiar with this to recommend which module for this sound
card is best (or will work at all?)
--------
Related to this last question are the 'How to Activate SoundBlaster
Audio' insructions at

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/sound.html

Win98 device manager lists the device resources as
Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC, IRQ=9, io=0x330-0x331
Crystal PnP Audio System MPU-401 Compatible, IRQ=5, DMA=00, 01
... io=0x220-0x22F io=0x388-0x38B io=0x534-0x537

Very helpful to know this. Most onboard sound is not pnp and acts like a pci card, choosing available values, but for this one I think you need to list the io and irq and dma, like for an ISA card. For my sb16 pnp ISA cards, I first set these values using a DOS program. Windows sets them itself. They come set to some default value. You may need to experiment with the irq and pick something not taken by other things if it objects to irq=5. My SB16s I think came with default irq=9.

I don't know if something in /proc lists what irq the chip uses.

There is an isapnp program which I never got working right, and it is complicated and not worth the effort. I don't even know if the BL kernel supports pnp.

insmod soundcore
insmod sound
insmod cs4232 io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0 dma16=1 mpu_io=0x330
insmod opl3 io=0x388 [optional]

If you get some list of things after the cs4232 module, you need some other module inserted, such as uart401 or ad1848 or something. The list of missing things often gives you a clue.

Look up Crystal in the BL archives. There is a link to them at the BL site (under support?).

io=0x534 would be used emulate something other than soundblaster (I forget what - microsoft sound?)

It would probably work without the mpu_io specified if you don't need external midi (mpu).

I got this working in a DELL and could look it up later.

Sindi

Once one of the above sound modules gets substituted for the generic sb.o,
then
what else gets appropriately replaced for this in the activation sequence
"insmod <module> io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=0 mpu_io=0x330" ????
------

TY for any help with these!
itf36