baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't get an EE PRO/100+ NIC to work

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't get an EE PRO/100+ NIC to work
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 05:07:50 +0100

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org skrev:
I tried to install BL3.50 on another machine from 1995 (486DX 24 MB RAM).

I can't get the network interface card (NIC) to work. It's an Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ PCI Adapter H/W ver. 008. I have put in eepro100.o from <http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-4.0/modules/2.2.6/net/>. (I had to transfer it on diskette. Actually there was room enough on the BL3.50 diskette 2.)
"insmod eepro100" works. When I try udhcpc it warns about /dev/urandom missing and then does "Sending discover..." for an infinite number of times, or until i break it.

The NIC works on the same computer using Windows 95 and Blueflops Linux 2.0.15. Blueflops does also use udhcpc. (Blueflops can't be installed on my HDD and has problems switching from X to text. BasicLinux works well in these senses.)

What could I do to make my NIC work?

I did get it to work (even with udhcpc) on first try when I used the module eepro100.o from <http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/net/>. The Slackware-4.0 module didn't work well for me. These BasicLinux-modules doesn't seem to be linked from the homepage.

Then I could download my ash-script myinstall from my website with wget and run and get a lot of software installed.

I have an Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 wireless router and I installed http://x-wrt.org/ (OpenWRT) on it (the installation went smooth and most settings were preserved). I can now log in from both my BL3.50 computers on the router via ssh and https (from links2). My idea is to install sqlite on the router and do some web development using BL and then install the cgi-scripts and database on the router. OpenWRT also uses Busybox (but v1.4.2), but misses many help texts and some useful commands such as ftpput. There is an amazing amount of useful commands and helptexts on the two BL3.50 diskettes.

--
// Mikael Bonnier
----