baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't get an EE PRO/100+ NIC to work

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't get an EE PRO/100+ NIC to work
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 04:01:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I tried to install BL3.50 on another machine from 1995 (486DX 24 MB RAM).

I can't get the network interface card (NIC) to work. It's an Intel
EtherExpress PRO/100+ PCI Adapter H/W ver. 008. I have put in eepro100.o
from
<http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-4.0/modules/2.2.6/net/>.
(I had to transfer it on diskette. Actually there was room enough on the
BL3.50 diskette 2.)
"insmod eepro100" works. When I try udhcpc it warns about /dev/urandom
missing and then does "Sending discover..." for an infinite number of
times, or until i break it.

insmod eepro on one computer and whatever module you use on the other one

On one computer
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
On the other
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

ping between them to test the connection then run ftpd or httpd or send/receive.

I don't think BL3 has udhcpd. I have that in BL2, in busybox 1.3.2 which I compiled myself. This newer busybox version does not work well with kernel 2.2.

I am assuming you have BL3 on two computers with network cards.
If you don't, run udhcpd or equivalent on the non-BL computer.

The NIC works on the same computer using Windows 95 and Blueflops Linux
2.0.15. Blueflops does also use udhcpc. (Blueflops can't be installed on
my HDD and has problems switching from X to text. BasicLinux works well
in these senses.)

What could I do to make my NIC work?

--
// Mikael Bonnier