baslinux - Re: [BL] Preferred PDF Viewer?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Preferred PDF Viewer?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:05:10 -0500

> > Which Slackware 4.0 PDF-reader is the most straightforward
> > to set up within BL3-50 ?
>
> pkg xpdf
> startx
> open xterm
> go to directory where pdf file is
> xpdf filename

TY for the advice.
It order to get this to work with the library upgrades mentioned
previously, I had to download and run 'pkg' on elflibs.tgz from the
<favorite-mirror>/slackware-4.0/slakware/a4/ folder.
Apparently, xpdf needs some stdc++ library found only in elflibs in
order to run.
Other than this, directions were straightforward.

> Unfortunately the xpdf in Slackware 4.0 is quite old.
> It will not open pdfs that require up-to-date capabilities.

xpdf works fine so far. Just as expected, thanks :)
Just curious though, Which type of up-to-date PDF files might cause
problems w/ the Slackware 4.0 xpdf ??
Would such files just not even open in xpdf, would error messages keep
on appearing at each up-to-date PDF-embedded widget, would screenfulls
of ASCII characters fly by such as when opening a binary file in a
text editor ??