baslinux - [BL] loadlin problems with kernel 2.4

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] loadlin problems with kernel 2.4
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:35:14 +0000 (UTC)

I reported that loadlin would not work with kernel 2.4 on one computer (though it worked with 2.2 and lilo and syslinx worked with 2.4).

We have another computer which won't load kernel 2.4 with loadlin, this time error message is

uncompressing linux
ran out of input data
system halted

We get the same message on a computer that has no linux ext2 partitions. Loadlin with 2.4 kernel appears not to be finding /dev/hda4 where BL2 resides. I can chroot to it from BL3 with 2.2.26 kernel.

This is apparently some sort of kernel bug.

Someone else reported that he started getting this error when he added some features to kernel 2.4, including framebuffer support. But a non-framebuffer 2.4 still does not boot.

BL loadlin is the latest version (1.6c) already. Someone else had the problem when using an older loadlin.

One option is to use USB storage only in DOS, where it does work, and skip kernel 2.4. Another is to switch comuters. Or try lilo boot again.