baslinux - Re: [BL] Tiny C compiler and Gnu C compiler ported to Basic Linux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tiny C compiler and Gnu C compiler ported to Basic Linux
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:26:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

First I converted GCC from MuLinux to Basic Linux, and set up
development environment to compile tiny c compiler. After two days work,
tcc works and

What version of GCC is this based on? What have you compiled with it?

GCC is 2.7.0, linked with libc5. Taken from mulinux.

Could you also post this gcc? gcc 2.95.3 sometimes fails. (It is 68K).
Or maybe it is the libc that fails when compiling newer programs.

Tcc is 0.9.24. I had to slightly modify its source code and makefile to
make it compilable under Basic linux and libc5. Later I self-compiled it.

Does it work as well as gcc? What have you compiled with it?

(Regarding using UPX for floppy basliclinux:)

Hmm, I did not try, but as floppy based Linuxes are already compressed,
UPX will not help, because compressing compressed file usually gives
worse results
than compressing uncompressed. It will take less space in RAM disk,
however. But there are some other ways:

- Format floppy to 1.7 megabytes

- Implement busybox from asmutils to make it smaller
I don't understand this - asmutils is not busybox.
It does not have all of the programs of busybox either. It does have ftpd (which busybox does not have).

- Recompile Xwindows with tcc hoping that his linker will be more smart
(tcc compiled with gcc is 330K, tcc compiled with tcc is 170K) (but tcc
generates less optimised code, so it will be slower). I also prepared
one scientific paper about generating tiny executables with gcc compiler.

This sounds interesting. Optimized code is larger?

- Remove some unused GUI tools.
Which do you suggest?

- Try to compress second floppy using bzip2 instead gzip and change boot
script.

- Prepare module on third floppy and install it after booting using pkg.
This third method is the simplest. There is some extra space on disk2 already to which I should add vfat so that I can access my FAT32 partition where I store the other modules. cp will install a module.

Do you know how to modify the BL3 floppy disk1? Steven (BL author) says it is very complicated and time consuming.

Do I correctly understand that UPXed files will occupy less ramdisk so you can load additional programs into RAM?

Dobrodosao u nasu grupu! Zivela sam nekoliko godina i bivsoj SFRJ.

Hvala na dobrodošlici.
(For the curious, the above is in Bosnian-Croato-Serbian).

Sindi

Samir Ribic
Sarajevo, Bosnia Herzegovina