baslinux - Re: [BL] Tiny C compiler and Gnu C compiler ported to Basic Linux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tiny C compiler and Gnu C compiler ported to Basic Linux
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:56:10 +0200

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

First I converted GCC from MuLinux to Basic Linux, and set up
development environment to compile tiny c compiler. After two days work,
tcc works and

What version of GCC is this based on? What have you compiled with it?

GCC is 2.7.0, linked with libc5. Taken from mulinux.

Tcc is 0.9.24. I had to slightly modify its source code and makefile to make it compilable under Basic linux and libc5. Later I self-compiled it.
now it is in a form of package. Size of tcc package is 67 kilobytes.
Also, I ported upx executable compressor, and reduced installed size of
hard disk version of basoc Linux for almost megabyte without deleting
any file, and still works with 4M RAM (at least under QEMU). Soon I will
port nasm assembler, p2c and f2c, convertors from pascal and c

I compiled nasm against uclibc, because it would not compile with gcc 2.95.3 in Basiclinux 2, in order to compile asmutils (which I have not found a use for) and also upx.
Also, nasm and upx from mulinux work under basiclinux, with libc5. I think that asmutils can be combined to single executable like
busybox and we will have busybox functionality in even less space. Currently, every tool from asmutils is tiny, but disk cluster size nullifies this advantage.

I posted nasm but not upx at my site. upx packs and unpacks executables to occupy less space and claims to produce smaller files than zip files and to take very little time and memory to unpack and repack them. Have you tried using upx to fit more files into the 2-floppy BL3? I would like to have more modules on there, including vfat (so I can look at files in FAT32 directories in DOS).

Hmm, I did not try, but as floppy based Linuxes are already compressed, UPX will not help, because compressing compressed file usually gives worse results
than compressing uncompressed. It will take less space in RAM disk, however. But there are some other ways:

- Format floppy to 1.7 megabytes
- Implement busybox from asmutils to make it smaller
- Recompile Xwindows with tcc hoping that his linker will be more smart (tcc compiled with gcc is 330K, tcc compiled with tcc is 170K) (but tcc generates less optimised code, so it will be slower). I also prepared one scientific paper about generating tiny executables with gcc compiler.
- Remove some unused GUI tools.
- Try to compress second floppy using bzip2 instead gzip and change boot script.
- Prepare module on third floppy and install it after booting using pkg.

You can post your programs at your own site and have it listed at the BL home page under Miscellaneous BL Files and Information (which is contributions from other users). There are some very interesting programs at these sites including a small mplayer.

Dobrodosao u nasu grupu! Zivela sam nekoliko godina i bivsoj SFRJ.
Hvala na dobrodošlici.

Sindi

Where to send tcc package?

Samir Ribic