baslinux - Re: [BL] HELP!!! busybox fdisk and linux extended

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HELP!!! busybox fdisk and linux extended
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:21:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I have a 20GB drive and don't want four 5GB partitions.
I already had four primary partitions but wanted to
delete one and make the fourth partition linux extended
instead.

I do not recommend using extended partitions.
Primary partitions are less problematical.
A DOS extended partition worked okay.

The cfdisk that came with BL2 does not make extended
linux partitions.

Really? That's news to me.

It does not offer Extended as a choice, just Primary or Logical or Cancel.
If you make Logical it is hdb5 and there is no hdb4 (probably it exists but you don't need to make it). But I can't make the Logical Linux into ext2 or format them.

I used the fdisk from busybox 1.3.2 that Karolis compiled.

I see. That's not something I would recommend.
I found bugs in busybox 1.3 (and 1.2 too).
That's why BL3 still uses busybox 1.1
I won't use it again.

The full fdisk from Slackware would have been a
safer choice. You need to be *very* careful when
you create and format partitions.

Do you think the full fdisk would let me create ext2 hdb5 and hdb6 Logical Linux partitions that I can then format?