baslinux - [BL] parted, was Re: HELP!!! busybox fdisk and linux extended

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] parted, was Re: HELP!!! busybox fdisk and linux extended
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 03:02:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

The cfdisk that came with BL2 does not make extended linux partitions.

I used the fdisk from busybox 1.3.2 that Karolis compiled.

It made hdb4 linux extended partition, and then hdb5 ext2 inside of that
(first 500 MB), but would not write to disk (I did not note the error
message, something about sizes I think).

Now busybox fdisk and cfdisk cannot even access /dev/hdb

How do I fix this problem other than transferring files to a different
drive and reformatting this one with dd?

Sindi

DOS PQMAGIC accessed this drive and let me delete the fourth partition (I forget what it was recognized as, I should take notes) but does not make linux extended partitions.

So I am back where I started minus the original fourth primary partition (having transferred files from it).

BL3.4 has busybox fdisk. (I cannot check BL3.50 because it was on the fourth partition and is currently in limbo). If it is going to mess things up we should be warned against using it for extended linux partitions. cfdisk at least did not try to make them.

Can busybox fdisk actually make extended linux partitions?
I did not find any reports online of problems with this feature.

Busybox fdisk -v does not give the busybox fdisk version, just busybox version 1.3.2.

bl2 cfdisk is 2.9v 1999

I will try the most recent fdisk, as suggested for my 6.0GB USB 2.5" external round drive which came as /dev/sda1 and won't let me fdisk /dev/sda.

Source code at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/fdisk

Current fdisk 1.0 is July 7 2007 370K source .tar.gz

./configure says to install GNU/Parted before compiling.
It needs parted/parted.h. (Could this mean it only needs that one file and not parted and its libraries?)

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted Latest version is 1.8.7 of May 2007.
1.4GB source code tar.gz.

configure: error: GNU Readline could not be found which is required for the --with-readline (enabled by default).

I should either get and install GNU readline or ./configure --without-readline (that worked).

make:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from ../../include/parted/natmath.h:33
(and two other files - constrant.h and parted.h)...
from rdb.c:26:
../../include/parted/disk.h:241: warning: `deprecated' attribute directive
ignored
(same for 247)

Error 1 ....

I gave up compiling parted and fdisk.

There is a static version of parted at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/parted/static
Keep trying if site is busy. 1328Kb chmod +x before use.
parted-1.8.1-static: your kernel is 2.4.31, needed kernel >=2.6.6
Arghhhh!!!! (TM)

Trying uclibc.

./configure did not find libuuid, which is part of e2fsprogs package.

Karolis or David, do you want to try compiling parted statically against uclibc or even any version of (g)libc for kernel 2.2? Maybe it is designed not to work with older kernels?

Has anyone successfully made a linux extended partition with BL?