baslinux - Re: [BL] X fonts & character diplay

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X fonts & character diplay
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:11:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hello, List, Czerno speaking...

clR9x15 says it is iso646.
Most of the other fixed fonts are 8859-1 (5x8 is iso646, some are
8859-15)
9x15 that I uploaded before is 8859-1.

In /theory/, iso-646 is just another name for "plain, 7 bit,
US-ASCII". See :
http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso646.html (excellent site altogether).

Thanks. 7-bit means no extended ascii.

The two cl fonts (in BL2) are about half the size of the non-cl equivalents (clB9x15 9x15B clR9x15 9x15). Therefore I doubt either of them include extended ascii.

In practice, do X-fonts exist with 'glyphs' only for 7-bit characters
exist ? Or, are those font files advertised as iso-646, but really
contain glyphs for hi-chars, from /some/ assumed repertoire (maybe in
fact, the IBM-PC cp 437; which probably is what we want in a
terminal, most of the time) ?

> Which charset do you need to view things properly locally?
I wish I could answer your question with precision. Unfortunately I
am lost, there are too many variables - and/or my understanding is
too vague.

The Xvesa 6x13 worked for me online with lynx and locally with e3pi.
Let us know if that fixes your problem.

Czerno