baslinux - Re: [BL] extended partitions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] extended partitions
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 23:06:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:48:34 +0000 (UTC)
baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

We are now being given 20GB drives. 3GB for BL2 is overkill.

My BL2 partition is 32 GB. Just two days ago a multimedia download had to
be aborted because the partition was full !

I guess it depends on whether you are into multimedia or not, if 3 GB is
overkill or simply too small.

Regards,
Ron

I bet you have broadband. I spent 25 min downloading 7MB of Opera.

I decided to give BL3.50 200MB after setting it up with:

abiword (libc5)
links2 (libc5)

mplayer (uclibc) - David Moberg
lynx 2.8.6 (uclibc) - Karolis Lyvens

opera 9.21 (precompiled)
glibc 2.2.5 - selected libraries, plus libz, and three X libraries

Some things I compiled:
libc5: kermit) no ncurses

glibc:
complete netpbm gs 8.54 (no X)
svgalib 1.9.25
zgv 5.9 and required libraries
svp (svgalib viewer for gs)
nano (full version)
dropbear (ssh substitute) and scp
msmtp and base64 (smtp authorized mail with attachments)
sox (my package lacks the scripts - needs fixing)
I decided against timidity (very large due to patches)

antiword xlhtml and ppthtml

This all adds up to 77MB, including documentation.

It will be 8MB bigger if I add a 2.4.31 kernel and all the modules for USB storage, and selected modules for 2.2.26. (I added lucent and one ethernet module). Still under 100MB, leaving 100MB for opera or links cache and downloads. Did I miss anything important? I don't do games.

I have an sc 7.2 (135K) in BL2 that needs libncurses (250K) and libgpm (70K). The BL3 sc 7.2 (needs libtermcap not libncurses) segfaults in BL2. The source code needs bison to compile it.

sql is static and is nearly 1MB. I have never used it.

Ubuntu wanted 2GB minimum a while ago.
Win98 Lite is only 150MB, after which you need to add the useful stuff.