baslinux - [BL] Another use of sox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: Hal <halinux AT kvinet.com>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Another use of sox
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 01:20:34 +0000 (UTC)

Copy of part of the mails between two other (one former) list member concerning a quick and easy way to do what Windows does the hard way. Read up from the bottom:

On 06-04, Sindi Keesan wrote:
I compiled the most recent sox, which can be used to record things, but
have not really used it yet. Here is Sam's suggestion.

Sindi Keesan

From Sam:

it might be possible to do with multiple edits with sox but it would
be a serious pain (i -still- havent quite got the sox commandline
figured out... even the author made note in the man page that its a
mess)

Hal wrote (having looked at sox more closely after reading the above):

Since you are now audio experts; how would you accomplish the
following:

A 3 minute .wav sound file that plays nicely except the first few
notes "bang" in and would be better if that was "softened" or quickly
faded
in.. How to do this with a digital track, not wanting to transfer to
analogue; fix; then back to digital again??

Hal wrote back: (read this fourth):

Greetings and--BINGO!! APPRECIATE!!

I've used Sox many times but I had no idea it did __anything__ except
convert from one format to another.. Maybe I should learn how to read the
mans's, eh??

Sox filename.wav filename.fi.wav fade 3 did the deed
perfectly.. Couldn't have done any better even if I knew what I was doing.
<grin>

Probably in 1 millionth the space of a Windows program, and much faster.

Thanks again..

Hal GNU/Linux - Slackware 10.2, 2.4.31
.

Sindi

  • [BL] Another use of sox, baslinux, 06/05/2007