baslinux - Re: [BL] usb ports in bl2/bl3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] usb ports in bl2/bl3
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 14:23:38 +0930

I tried to reply to his thread once before but it must have been stomped somewhere. I just wanted to suggest one more option for getting usb to work. - you could run BL in qemu and just load your usb device via qemu as whatever device you like - BL should see it just fine.

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
Hi,
By default Baslinux uses kernel 2.2.26.
In general kernels 2.4.x have better support for USB,
but some Linux distributions have backported the usb
code to 2.2.x kernels.
Bottom line: if you want better support for USB in Baslinux just change the kernel and modules.
I use kernel 2.5.0 that came bundled with Peanut Linux
9.1 and I have to load these modules for using usb
flash memory:
insmod usb-core.o
insmod usb-uhci.o
insmod usb-storage.o
Then I mount the usb flash with:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mypc/usb

Hope this helps.
Bye!
-HHMM

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Giuseppe wrote:
I just added 4 USB 2.0 ports.
Is that a PCMCIA card (for laptop)? BL3 can access
normal PCMCIA cards, but not cardbus (which has a
row of gold pimples).

What should I do to use?
I do not have any USB hardware, so I have no
personal
experience using USB with BL3. However, IIRC other BL3 users have said that USB keyboards, mouses and printers do work.
Is it possible to use the ports for a samsung
laser
printer (linux compatible since 2.2.x ),
Probably.

a scanner
Maybe.

and usb keys?
Probably not. IIRC people could not get BL3 to work
with USB storage devices.

baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org