baslinux - Re: [BL] usb ports in bl2/bl3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] usb ports in bl2/bl3
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:20:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 15 May 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Salve,
Thanks to your hints and assistance I successfully installed BL3 and BL2
(win98 already installed) on hd in my pentium I (32 Mb RAM) and everything
works.
I just added 4 USB 2.0 ports.

They require the ehci module. I also added four ports to my computer, as a PCI card, when my onboard USB died. They work with BL and a later kernel (2.4.31) with USB storage devices.

What should I do to use? Is it possible to use the ports for a samsung laser
printer (linux compatible since 2.2.x ), a scanner and usb keys? Which
(packages and) modules should I add?

For USB storage devices (flash drive, external hard disk, USB zip disk, camera, memory card reader) use a 2.4 kernel and insert the basic USB modules plus usb-storage.o, which will identify the drive probably as sda1. Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt. I posted several USB-storage-capable kernels at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31, such as bzimagsm.431 (which also has scsi support as modules), and also posted the modules to work with it.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.htm describes the files including the kernels that I have posted.

Omit the stuff in parentheses and make sure you have the following modules (they end in .o) in /lib/modules/2.4.31 in some directory such as kernel/drivers/usb/host, or even misc, and the flash drive plugged in (at least before you insert the last module):

insmod usbcore
insmod ehci (for USB2.0, or for USB 1.0 uhci or usb-ohci)
insomd scsi_mod (scsi emulation)
insmod sd_mod (scsi disk emulation)
insmod usb-storage

You will see something about sda1 (first scsi hard disk, in this case an emulated one) unless you have other scsi devices already recognized).

Hit Enter key and

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

Sindi

Many thanks for help.