baslinux - Re: [BL] xpdf 3.02 for BL3(glibc2.2.5) without X or ghostscript

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xpdf 3.02 for BL3(glibc2.2.5) without X or ghostscript
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 01:57:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 3 May 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/xpdf302-noX-nogs.tgz

Modified precompiled package from foolabs, 2.6MB, without the xpdf
(graphical) binary.

Requires glibc 2.2.5 (slackware 8.1), as does precompiled Opera.

Includes the non-X binaries, xpdfrc, minimal fonts, and documentation (man
pages, CHANGES, etc.).

pdftoppm no longer seems to require any fonts. Earlier versions would not work without a minimal set of them and a map in /usr/local/etc/xpdfrc. My package includes xpdfrc and the fonts but you can delete the fonts.

Supercedes some other packages that I just deleted based on xpdf 3.0

Which would not work for me without the gs fonts.

Looks for the included gs fonts in /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts.

Delete them. Not needed.

Uses 46K of pfm files instead of the full 3MB of ghostscript fonts. I
changed the configuration file so that both Helvetica and Roman display as
Nimbus sans, which is smaller.

The Slackware Ghostscript fonts package installs itself to
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts.

But I don't think it is required now to print/view with gs or convert with pdftoppm using a basic sans-serif font.

I could print a pdf containing text, with just the one executable file gs (and printer modules) in BL3.40, without any gs fonts directory. I compiled the executable with built-in init files. 2.7MB gs in a 1.4MB package at http://keesan.freeshell.org/blfiles/gs-8.54-HP-noX.tgz, which I fixed today so it now supports writing ps < > pdf (unlike my 8.50), ljet4 (needed for laserjet 5 and 6, no lj5 drivers), and jbig2 decoding (used by some ps files). I had promised to come up with a minimal set of gs fonts, and it is 0-length.

To run an X program directly without window manager or rxvt:

Xvesa -screen 800x600x15 &); DISPLAY=0 xpdf file.pdf

My gs 8.54 was compiled without X so it would also work in BL3, with svp (svgalib-based) as a viewer. svp works with libvga.so.1.9.25 (which I compiled and posted for glibc 2.2.5) but not 1.4.3 (undefined symbol _xstat in libvga.so.1). I have not used it yet in BL3. gs-8.50 will display in X but does not convert ps to and from pdf (I omitted the drivers by mistake).

The default gs can be used to produce various image formats from pdf or ps files and prints to many more printers.