baslinux - Re: [BL] Disk1.img too big for floppy!

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Disk1.img too big for floppy!
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 07:39:55 -0700 (PDT)

Steven wrote:-
>disk1.img is an image of the entire floppy. It includes
>the boot sector, file allocation tables and root directory.
>That's why it is 1474560 bytes. That's why it requires
>a special program to rawrite it to the floppy.

ok! now we learn something :D how about adding this valuable piece of info
to the readme? i had assumed that the floppy had to be dos formatted for a
reason (other than to check for bad sectors) but it could be blank couldnt
it? like when i use pq drive image to restore a partition to a hard drive
from an image file, yes? before drive image can do the job it has to delete
existing partition(s) because it says it needs "free space". a big empty
void. am i making sense?

so all of those machines and all of those floppy or LS120 drives and all of
those disks i have tried are all ok when they tell me i have 1457664 bytes
free space because thats whats left over after the system areas of the disk
have been written. brilliant, we are all learning something, not just me :D

but i only tried to run the Fdimage.exe on one machine (tried several disks
though) and the explanation has to be that there is something not quite
right with the LS120 drive on that machine. (yes, true, as has been stated
on here more than once..) but the reason i got no further than trying to run
the program on that first machine was because of the consistent 1457664
bytes i was seeing with all machines and disks, and no one seemed to have
any clues for me on this (until Stevens second post, above). in my
semi-informed state i thought this was the explanation for why the program
was saying "file too big", ie. a 1474560 bytes size file would not fit into
a 1457664 bytes space.

one point here; if the only reason why the dos format is required is to
check that the disk is ok then even that cannot be a valid reason for
requiring it if writing the image raw is less tolerant of any kind of media
or drive errors than dos is. but then i guess as its not drive image i am
using here the dos session would not allow the program access to the drive
if the floppy was unformatted even though that existing format surely must
be ignored whilst the image is being restored?

now that some of us are a whole heap wiser.. i will try running Fdimage.exe
on a different drive..

obrigado! - peter (unixish)