baslinux - Re: [BL] Disk1.img too big for floppy!

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Disk1.img too big for floppy!
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 07:44:02 +1000

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
Would it help to try a different floppy drive in that or a different
computer? Sometime they wear out and spin too slowly (or maybe even too fast) and might not work right for something this critical.

In linux you can adjust for this by running floppymeter and setting a parameter.

I have had drives that work fine in DOS but are not usable in linux without this adjustment.

as you will see if you read what ive written in my earlier messages i have
tried several machines with several disks and i really cannot see that a
mixture of quality, clean, standard floppy drives as well as two LS120
drives that are laser guided (of course) and able to write correctly to
120mb superdisks, could all fail to perform properly.. what i do find
strange though is that no one so far seems to want to address themselves to
the fact (only revealed to me after doing a google search - including the
dreaded microsoft.com even..) that a dos formatted floppy does NOT have more
than 1457664 bytes free space available because of the space used by the
boot sector, the two file allocation tables and the root directory. it would
seem as though if you want access to the full 1474560 bytes then you cant
have any of the above system related areas working!

sindi, is that not so?

cordialement - peter (unixish)

Maybe your file is corrupt. Try downloading it again!
Larry