baslinux - Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:14:37 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding changes permissions on devices to let user use them.
This should not be done. You should run rxvt suid, and eznet suid, rather than changing ttyp0 and ttyS1 to executable or writeable by user.

But ttyp0 and ttyS1 keep reverting to root-only usage after they are used and before boot completes.

As shown by strace, eznet run suid root does not have permission to access /var/eznet/eznet.conf and other files there or in /etc/ppp (which should not be accessible to user because they contain password). The only way I can dial as user is to keep resetting permissions on the modem device or
reset permissions in an rc file at boot time.

Karolis will try to figure this out in a qemu or loop BL3.

Steven, do you dial as user in BL2?

BL3 has the same problem.

I would like to set up BL3 for idiots to access the internet, without them being root. Boot into Xvesa/jwm, dial from the menu, run Opera from the menu, hang up from the menu, reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del. An 'internet machine'.

Resetting permissions in rc is a kludge.