baslinux - Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Going online as user, summary, was Re: ssh as 'user'
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:11:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Regarding changes permissions on devices to let user use them.
This should not be done. You should run rxvt suid, and eznet suid, rather
than changing ttyp0 and ttyS1 to executable or writeable by user.

But ttyp0 and ttyS1 keep reverting to root-only usage after they are used
and before boot completes.

As shown by strace, eznet run suid root does not have permission to access
/var/eznet/eznet.conf and other files there or in /etc/ppp (which should
not be accessible to user because they contain password). The only way I
can dial as user is to keep resetting permissions on the modem device or
reset permissions in an rc file at boot time.

Karolis will try to figure this out in a qemu or loop BL3.

Steven, do you dial as user in BL2?

You say you change permissions on ppp-on and ppp-off to the users group. In BL2 they are not even on the path for users (in /usr/sbin). I symlinked to files of that name in /usr/bin. I also do not use ppp-on on my computer because I have several entries in eznet.conf and I use eznet up 1 eznet up 2 etc, or a dialing script to call those. I have tried giving users ownership of eznet and of the dialing script, with or without making them suid root. I still do not have permission to access /dev/ttyS1 (which is apparently due to eznet not having permission to access eznet.conf even suid root). My only solution is to keep changing file permissions on ttyS1.

I need more specific instructions, I think.
Maybe Karolis can figure out why eznet has no permission to access /var/eznet and other things suid root.