baslinux - Re: [BL] msmtp for BL2 - authenticating mail transport agent

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] msmtp for BL2 - authenticating mail transport agent
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:02:33 +0000 (UTC)

Karolis figured out how to use msmtp from the command line.

Set up a config file with the usual stuff (account default, login, password, name of your ISP, reply-to address, auth on)

msmtp recipient AT address.com

Type in the headers (From: Subject: and optionally Cc: Bcc: Reply-To etc. one per line) and then the message body and then on a blank line Ctrl-D. It sends. It works even without headers but you get a blank subject line and no From: No obvious way of sending attachments unless you encode them and then copy over to STDIN (with screen, splitvt, or gpm). uuencode or base64 (which I compiled and posted previously).

I find this simpler to use than mailz with pmail, for just sending a short message. Of course there is no address book.

Someone still needs to compile it for BL3 dynamic against libc5. The non-encrypting glibc2 version is 60K. Will fit on BL3.50 floppy disk #2. For use with ISPs such as earthlink which require authenticating outgoing mail.

Karolis thinks pmail already authenticates pop mail.

  • Re: [BL] msmtp for BL2 - authenticating mail transport agent, baslinux, 04/03/2007