baslinux - Re: [BL] cpuburn

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cpuburn
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:02:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:53:52 +0000 (UTC), baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

The PSU was said to have voltage spikes - how long would we want to run
cpuburn to see if this is the problem? There is a huge heatsink and a
case fan already.

As an electric/electronics tech, I have to comment on this: Voltage
SPIKES are momentary things, usually lasting only a few milliseconds.
They are almost impossible to see on any normal form of measuring
equipment. Their presence is usually deduced only from their
results -- they destroy the internals of chips which usually
suffer no visible external damage.

In contrast to this, another fault is when the supplies go
over-voltage. This is usually sustained for seconds or minutes,
or permanently, and can be observed with voltmeters attached to
the supply. But the results are usually that some components get
broken and their smoke leaks out.

Do you have any explanation from the previous owners as to why
they think the supply might be delivering spikes?

He said something about using the CD which came with the board to measure things. I did not understand. The board is now ours to keep since we could not find a problem to fix and the owner needed a reliable server.

We do not see any leaky or bulging capacitors on the board itself. An ASUS 1.4GHz with USB 2.0.
Sindi

Greg