baslinux - Re: [BL] cpuburn

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cpuburn
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:14:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/cpuburn-static.tgz
6263 bytes mostly documentation.

Unpackage to a floppy disk, and copy one (or all - about 3K total) of
these tiny files (pick the one that matches your CPU type such as AMD K7)
to the free space on a BL #2 boot disk. (Steven has provided lots of extra
space in BL3.50). Boot to linux, do NOT mount any file systems, and then
from the floppy disk run burnK7, for example, to try to crash your system.
It stresses the cpu and board and preserves errors - code 254 for
integer/memory error and 255 for FP/MMX error. There are also two RAM
testers included.

Intel burnP5 burnP6
AMD burnK6 burnK7

Someone asked us to try to fix a K7 system that 'hangs' and we would like
to make it crash without adding XP first.

You run this until it gives you one of two error messages (letting you know where the problem lies) or crashes (which indicates the cpu overheated), which should happen within 2-10 minutes. We ran it for 30 min and the cpu temperature went up from 47 C to about 59-60F, with no crashes. First we cleaned a lot of dust off the board and the heat sinks (north or south bridge, and cpu) and moved the heat sink grease back to the center of the heat sink where it belonged. The pad had disintegrated.
We may have fixed the overheating problem that was causing XP to hang.

You run the program in the background set to print out error messages, then kill it to stop it.

No cat hairs this time. Caps all looked okay. Voltages normal.