baslinux - Re: [BL] cpuburn

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cpuburn
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:53:52 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks. How do we determine if this is such a cpu? He gave us the
computer (to use the case) and I offered to fix it. If it is not fixable
we get to keep it. He said it 'runs hot' and has voltage spikes (we found
neither yet, but did not do the burn-in). He drilled holes in the case.
He said it worked fine for a couple of years then became unreliable as a
server.

its hit or miss but if it was used as a server running windows (or
linux) in the past and worked fine something else could be wrong (the
PSU would be the first thing i would try replacing)... might also try
a bigger fan-sink... or add a case fan if it doesnt have one

The PSU was said to have voltage spikes - how long would we want to run cpuburn to see if this is the problem? There is a huge heatsink and a case fan already.

ALI chipset.

i have a very old AMD/ALI system (Acer Aspire -- 200mhz k6) that while
no longer in use i did tinker with a program called 'atm' that ran in
win9x that issued the hlt instruction when the system was idle to cool
the cpu (the purpose of using hlt) and all kinds of weirdness
happened... buzzing in the soundcard, overheats with the motherboards
voltage regulators, jittery mouse and random complete freezes... BL
would run on that system but it didnt have the soundcard setup and i
never ran it for more than the few minutes it took to use it to do
something that was harder to do in DOS which is what ran 99.9% of the
time...
This is K7.

A computer which originally had Win95 is coming Tuesday, which 'crashes
after 2 weeks' every time she reloads XP, or ME. For use only on the
internet (instead of WebTV). I will offer BL3.50 instead of XP, which is
probably REALLY slow on a 10 year old computer. With Sylpheed except I
could not find any way to Compose - it is greyed out. I probably botched
setup.

XPlite can be used on 10yr old hardware... 2k is better tho... as far
as it crashing every 2 weeks they probably dont have a virus scanner
(or if they do its not a good one) or something else is messed up
(incorrect settings with the harddrive like turning on DMA on a system
that doesnt properly support it will mess things up at a slow pace)

Thanks for that idea. We will check out the hardware and BIOS. She probably replaced the memory and drive. We could more easily just give her a newer (400MHz) computer, with linux.

try XP again (if they have it might as well use it) but turn off
'write cache' on the hdds... if that doesnt help disable DMA too (had
to do this with a laptop that runs 2k)
I had to disable DMA on two computers or linux would do it (slowly).

a bit of fun; if the webTV device used was the MSNTV2 box its possible
to put linux on it... youll get a set-top ~700mhz intel celeron-M
system ;)
I will leave the box where it is, but interesting idea.