baslinux - [BL] ghostscript 8.54

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ghostscript 8.54
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:32:42 +0000 (UTC)

I am going to try compiling a minimal version that will print to my deskjet/laserjet printers (including color), and display without X11 (using svp and svgalib) which needs devices pbmraw and bmp256 and nullpage.

I have stopped using Epson printers because netpbm won't print to them in color and they don't do well with 300dpi scanned documents (they print too well, at 360dpi, and shrink the image or convert and reduce quality).
But I could add epson epsonc and stcolor if anyone wants.

(If you need to view pdf in more colors use xpdf. I usually receive mono pdfs from scanned images.)

The SW7.1 gs has maybe 100 output devices. Which ones do other people use? lvga256 would display without svp but is not needed.

faxg3? (xli displays that). Would this send to a fax machine?

ppm pgm pbm (convert pdf or ps to images | netpbm)

pdfwrite - converts ps to pdf
pswrite - converts pdf to ps?

jpeg, png, pcx? (netpbm can already turn ppm into other formats and xli can view ppm anyway).

Ghostscript installation only requires:

1) The executable (3MB using mostly defaults, including X11)
2) init files in /lib totalling about 680K
3) Fontmap files - 13K
4) Fonts - 3.8MB but maybe could be mapped to something much smaller like I did for pdftoppm. Some day.

You don't need the 6.1MB of Cmap (Japanese info?) or the documentation but Use.htm is only about 150K. Install.htm is useful at the moment.

A non-X11 version should be usable in BL3 with glibc2.2.5.
Anyone want to guess the file size? Less than the 2.9MB with X and dozens of output formats.

I could compile the fonts and init files into the executable to simplify installation.

I will be attacking gs this week. (It took two months last time with help to figure out a bug with jasper etc.)