baslinux - Re: [BL] Setting up an FTP Server

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Setting up an FTP Server
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:59:59 +1100

Hi Lee,

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 01:04:07 +0000
Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 01:00:53PM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > Lee,
> > This may sound like a sily question, but why are you looking to
> > run an ftp server from your home ? Apart from proving that you can do
> > it, what is the point ?
>
> Control. I run the OS that runs the server. I can do anything I want
> whenever I want.

OK. That's a fair enough answer. :)

> Sorry. That's nonsense. You don't have any where _near_ the control and
> freedom that I would have doing it the way I am proposing.

No, I don't have the control that you are seeking, that's true. But I
don't need that much control for my purposes.

> I despise web interfaces. Clumsy and limited and slow. Intolerable with
> a dialup connection.

Actually, it's not. I have had those domains for nearly two years, but I
have only moved from dial-up in the last 4 months. And the web interface
concerned is not the same as those awful baby-level things like the Homestead
hosting service has. It is perfectly useable from dial-up.

> > I have two domains, and a couple of subdomains, ftp
> > accounts and stuff - its not difficult, and it a bloody sight
> > cheaper than the sort of ISP accounts you have been talking
> > about. And my stuff is available for download on a relatively
> > fast server.
>
> Sure. But you also have a fast connection.

I do now, from here. But the hosting server has a fast connection to the
internet.

> What does _that_ cost you?

Do you mean the domain hosting or my ADSL connection.

Domain hosting is less than Aus$100 per year - less than US$78 per year.
My ADSL actually works out cheaper than dial-up, because I no longer pay for
the local calls to my ISP, which used to be the major part of my telephone
bill.

> > OTOH: Maybe you have a reason for wanting to keep the server physically
> > at hand ?
>
> Once again, it's a matter of control and freedom. You can administer those
> servers within the limitations set by the provider.

Which suit me just fine.

> You don't control the underlying OS.

No, but I don't need to.

> You don't have root priveleges.

Yes, I do.

> You get what you pay for, eh?

As with everything.

> And part of what you are paying for is the easy way out.

No, not really.

> The route I am considering taking will force me to really develop my
> sysadmin skills.

They certainly will, and good for you. My field of work is in science,
chemistry in particular, and the regulations and laws pertaining to thos
fields. I have enough sysadmin time to keep me happy with my own machines
here, where it is still fun.

> Basically, you have just learned to use a web interface, which is probably
> proprietary software that you won't encounter anywhere else.

As I said, it is not that sort of control panel. I guess you would have
to see what I mean before passing judgement. I have built my websites using
ftp for the most part. The only stuff I use from the control panel is to see
my site stats, to make/unmake email accounts, and to set up sub-domain links.
Everything else is done by hand. I write my own web pages with a text
editor, I make most of my own graphics, I certainly produce my own MIDI and
MP3 and OGG files, and I write my own programs which I make available for
free,
except for the directories that I have made available for BasicLinux and for
Arachne beta-testing.
And I do most of it in DOS.

> All that being said, there is much merit to your suggestion. If I could
> find a provider that didn't require the use of a web interface, I'd
> consider it.

Go find one, they are out there.

> I am wondering why you didn't post the url(s) to this wonderful service
> you are talking about.

It's not a wonderful service, it's a standard (budget) hosting service.
The one I use is http://www.australiacheapdomains.com.au for registering a
domain name, and they link into planetdomain - both belonging to Primus I
think.

> http://ausreg.com?

http://www.ausreg.com and http://www.tadpoletunes.com

with subdirectories such as http://delamere.tadpoletunes.com

But, Lee, if you need to have total control, then this is not for you.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke