baslinux - [BL] Requests for BL4

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Requests for BL4
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:10:37 +0000

Steven,

I'd like to suggest that you leave sed out of the BL4 version of
busybox and include a full-featured POSIX sed for BL. Wouldn't
have to be GNU sed.

Sed is a marvelous tool and it shouldn't have its wings clipped.

You could easily leave out head and cut and grep and wc and tail
and tac and cat and rev and uniq (just for starters) because all
of those things can easily be done with simple scripts, many of
them requiring a full-featured sed. The scripts would be named
after the utilities they replaced.

I'll write what needs to be written. Most of the work has already
been done:

http://www.pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt

search "emulates"

It would also be really nice to have a version of find that has
the -prune option, which makes it possible to limit the search
to a particular depth without the bloat of GNU find with its
-maxdepth option.

According to my research, busybox find is the _only_ version that
lacks this essential option.

To the gods of linux, I ask that they render a new commandment
prohibiting people from using common words (like 'find') for
the names of their software.

Because it _sure_ makes it hard to find relevant docs with a
search engine!

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful