baslinux - Re: [BL] Requests for BL4 58

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Requests for BL4 58
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:31:05 +0000

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 03:49:51PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > But you'd be surprised at the number of people here who have
> > installed many of the standard utilities.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me at all. In fact I often
> encourage users to install such packages from
> Slackware.

That's a fact, now that I think about it. I have taken many
of those suggestions :-)

> > My solution for the mail utilities at this point are fetchmail,
> > mailx (no MIME), pppd, chat, and msmtp.
>
> fetchmail? msmtp? I expected you to suggest a nc script.

The problem, for me, is the need for for ssl/tls encrypted
authentication. I just don't know how to script that. It looks as
if openssl can be called for this purpose, but it's pretty big,
and there is a seperate tls utility called 'starttls'...

Otherwise I _would_ be using nc scripts.

> > You could use versions of fetchmail and msmtp that
> > are much smaller if you leave out ssl/tls capabilities,
>
> What's the point? pmail does an adequate job for nonsecure
> POP3 and SMTP connections and it's smaller than the smallest
> fetchmail+msmtp.

So then (referring to your post previous to this one) what are
the deficiencies you see in the pmail program?

I wish _I_ could have gotten it to work, but because of the unusual
(for BL) software I needed to deal with my unusual (for BL) hardware,
and the need for secure authentication, I couldn't.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru