baslinux - Re: [BL] Asmutils

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Asmutils
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 03:19:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, sindi keesan wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Stephen Clement wrote:

Hello all,

I've discovered this very neat project to make alot of core linux tools in
assembly. This might even be smaller than busybox although I'm not sure that
busybox is all that replacable.

Take a look at their homepage here:

http://linuxassembly.org/asmutils.html

Looks very nice, currently.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Feb 18 2006 version 0.18 source code available now for download, about
350K, and about 650K of a-linux (precompiled 1-floppy linux based on
previous version 0.17).

The link lists a set of executables, plus libc and crypto and 7 games.

Would this be usable to replace part of busybox in BL4?

Sindi

I downloaded source code (instead of the older precompiled version). I tried to compile but was told I need nasm, the latest version.

531K of nasm source code, needs Perl and gnu tools to install.
I have gcc 2.95.3

./configure worked

make did not:
gcc -c -g -02 -Wall -std=c99 -pedantic -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -o nasm.o nasm.c
cc1: unknown C standard `c99'

Error 1

So I copied the nasm source code to /uclibc and chroot /uclibc /bin/bash -login, ./configure, make and by default it compiled a uclibc-dynamic nasm (and a man page and install-sh and ndisasm and a few .pl files which might be needed to install it but you can just copy executables to /usr/local/bin and libraries to /usr/local/lib).

I copied just nasm itself to /usr/local/bin, renamed it nasm-uclibc and symlinked nasm to it (to remind myself that it is uclibc).
253K uclibc dynamically linked nasm

ldd nasm -- libc.so.0 and ld-uClibc.so.0

I symlinked these to /lib from /uclibc/lib .

This is not a good idea since uclibc next version will not be backward compatible.

With this dynamically compiled nasm-uclibc, asmutils compiled.
It says clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete.

In the asmutils*/src directory I see a lot of files ending in .asm dated August 20 2001 and the same things without .asm dated a minute ago.
These are 'not a dynamic executable'

I copied asmutils*/src/* to /asmutils (also the contents of ./src/bonus, which has games) and then rm *.asm. I have 204K of files now (270K if you include the bonus directory) which became 66K

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/asmutils-0.18.tar.gz

nasm-0.98.39-uclibc -- uclibc-dynamic nasm
asmutils-0.18.tar.gz -- source code
asmutils.txt lists the files not including bonus.

Busybox has more files than asmutils including ftpget and ftpput, ar, ash, awk, bunzip2, chgrp, dos2unix, egrep, expr, fbset, fdformat, find, gunzip, hdparm, insmod, modprobe, patch, printf, sed, seq, sort, su, tracerout, uchcpc, udhcpd, uniq, unix2dos, unzip, vi, zcat.

But asmutils might be handy for making a 1-floppy BL. And it has a few things not in busybox:

ftpd telnetd pop3d fingerd cpuspeed lsusb lzss cda2raw and some games -
snake 1527 bytes, hdragon 260 bytes, game 916 bytes, etc.
fire256 is 'out of scan range' on my best monitor and ps does not list it so I cannot kill it and will need to reboot.

df -h works (df --help does not, but you can compile busybox
not to work with --help too)

nasm INSTALL says to run ./configure --help for options but there is nothing about static compilation.

David, how do I compile statically against uclibc?