baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 with WINE/MSWORD

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 with WINE/MSWORD
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:36:18 -0600

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 09:23:00PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> Someone suggested WINE might take up less space than Win98 (150MB).
> The precompiled binary bz2 for Slackware 10.1, 10.2 or 11.0 is about 10MB
> and the source code 11MB. I don't want to compile it. Does anyone know
> of a precompiled version for Slackware 8.1 or earlier?

I do not know of a pre-compiled version and have doubts whether a WINE
version from that era
would even run the target software.

In the case of WINE, you should always go with the very latest version you
can get. The
project progresses rapidly and you should count on Windows applications to
run much better
on the most recent versions (or they may not run at all under older versions,
whereas they
will under newer). You might need to download the latest release and compile
it yourself to
accomplish what you want.

James