baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux book 50

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux book 50
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:23:46 +1030

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 01:41:05 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

> If you are 1/4 of the way through already, it can't have much
> technical substance at all.

Some of us _can_ read faster than a page an hour.

> I'm with you there. But there are exceptions. For example, the "C
> for Dummies" books (2) are pretty useful as references for a beginner
> like me.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be useful. Just that the title "For
Dummies" puts me right off.

> I wouldn't do business with anyone that you can't get a physical
> address and a phone number for. That can't prove they have a
> business license in whatever community they are located in.

This was only my second attempt at online buying. I'm learning!

>> And BTW you don't need to tell me the benefits of commandline
>> working. I have been doing it for preference, whenever possible,
>> for the last 35 years.

> Yeh. DOS. That occurred to me after I posted :-\

RTE on a PDP11/20 in 1971. CP/M in 1980. DOS in various flavours since
about 1985. And programming in Assembler and BASIC on and off
since right at the beginning.

> But have you used a graphical integrated desktop environment? My first
> computer had XP, so I am familiar with both worlds.

Yes, I have used GUIs for that last 25 years, starting the Mac in
early 1980s, then GeoWorks, and later several flavours of Windows.

So I too am familiar with both worlds.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v

  • Re: [BL] Linux book 50, Greg Mayman, 02/18/2007