baslinux - Re: [BL] e2fsck on BL3 49

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] e2fsck on BL3 49
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:11:47 +0000

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 07:47:44PM +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > > BL3 has an old version of e2fsck
> >
> > That doesn't work at _all_ on the e2fs filesystem created
> > by my debian OS (mke2fs).
>
> Your debian probably created your ext2 filesystem with
> the sparse-super flag on. The BL3 e2fsck pre-dates the
> sparse-super option.
>
> > The superblock could not be read
>
> Yeah, that's what happens when the filesystem was formated
> with sparse-super on.
>
> > I used debian to create the filesystem for uClibc too,
> > and the BL3 doesn't work on it, either.
>
> Same problem. Next time you use Debian to format a
> filesystem, try turning off the sparse-super flag.
> Then it should work with BL3.

Thanks. I am tempted to copy my whole system to a (ramdisk? I have
128M RAM and 128M swap), re-format this partition, then copy the
ram disk to it. I could use the BL3 floppies or tomsrtbt or a generic
rescue disk if necessary.

Please let me know if that is a bad idea or wouldn't work. I've got
enough space on several partitions to store BL3 there for a bit.

This is from Rute:

A similar procedure for RAM devices is

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram0 count=1440 bs=1024

mke2fs /dev/ram0

mkdir ~/mnt

mount /dev/ram0 ~/mnt

ls -al ~/mnt

When you are finished copying the files that you want into ~/mnt, merely run

umount ~/mnt

To dump the file system to a floppy or file, respectively, run:

dd if=/dev/ram0 of=/dev/fd0 count=1440 bs=1024

dd if=/dev/ram0 of=~/file-floppy count=1440 bs=1024

/quote

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful